Pioneers Rest Cemetery

Pioneers Rest Cemetery was created in 1850, a year after the military outpost known as Fort Worth was established on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River. It served as the fort’s and then the city’s primary burial ground for whites with one known exception until 1879 when other cemeteries were established in the city. However, burials continued at Pioneers Rest and it remained the cemetery of choice for many early Fort Worth residents and their descendants. Pioneers Rest Cemetery's grave markers reflect mid-19th to early 20th-century sentiments regarding death and mourning through their funerary motifs and Gothic, Egyptian, Classical Revival, and Rustic designs. The cemetery is approximately seven acres. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2021.